Saturday, December 31, 2016

Studio 49 Retreat 2017 Challenge

I got this lovely creamy white Polwarth from the Studio 49 Retreat 2016 goodie bag. Two oz. of fiber. The challenge rules state that we can add up to 50% of other fiber if we want. I have this super soft natural grey BFL (Bluefaced Leiciester) roving that I am going to pair with the Polwarth. One ply of each, spun woolen with long draw. I haven't done a lot of long draw spinning so I thought I'd brush up my skills.


This bundle of fiber is for my sister who does not spin but does knit. And instead of fighting a deadline like I did for the 2016 retreat, I got started right away on spinning. 

The singles spun clockwise long draw.

And the finished yarn. Two ply, 334 yards, 4 oz. Still needs wet finishing.

For myself, I have 6 oz. of Polwarth to spin. The 2 oz. from the goodie bag and another 4 oz. I purchased. I may or may not add the BFL. The creamy white Polwarth is so pretty on it's own. I haven't decided yet what to do for my own bundle of fiber.

I have sampled different plies. Left to right, 4-ply cable, 3-ply (two plies of Polwarth and one of BFL), 2-ply (one ply each BFL and Polwarth), 2 ply both Polwarth.
Now I have to decide.



No comments:

Post a Comment