Sunday, March 11, 2012

Is Perfection Possible?

At what point are we satisfied with our finished product? When do we attain perfection? Is perfection possible? Or is perfection defined by what we are satisfied with?

I spent time this week knitting my second sleeve for the Central Park Hoodie. After I finished the cuff ribbing, I moved onto the cable pattern and increase part of the sleeve. I knit two rows before realizing I’d made a mistake. So I frogged the two rows and started over. Then I knit 5 more rows in pattern before realizing I had not changed to larger needles. 

I paused. I frowned at the piece of sleeve. 

I frogged again down to the ribbing. At that point, I put the sleeve down for the rest of the evening because I obviously wasn’t paying close enough attention to the directions. I assumed that I had the pattern memorized and could just whip out the sleeve in no time. Not. 

The next day I reread the directions, changed to larger needles and worked the pattern correctly.

Sometimes when I make a mistake I wonder who will notice. If I don’t say anything, is it really a mistake? Does it really show? 

I ask myself these questions almost every time I find an error in a project. And there usually is one. Do I rip it out now? Do I unweave 20 rows of weft? What if I drop a stitch in the frogging?

When I find an error, whether or not I fix it is usually determined by the following factors:
  • Will anyone notice?
  • How far down is the mistake?
  • Is the project finished?
  • Is it for me, a gift or for sale?
  • Will I notice?
That last question is usually the most important for me. I do not considered myself a perfectionist, but I do like very neat work. Is that perfection? I doubt it. But if I think I will notice that error every time I put on that scarf or sweater, then I always take the time to fix the error. It is worth the time in the long run. 

Errors are part of the process of making things. We are human after all. I’m not sure we can attain perfection, but we can get close enough to be satisfied. 

Especially when we work with our hands.

2 comments:

  1. I think errors are part of what makes something handmade rather than cranked out by a souless machine. Of course, I attempt to produce my work with as few as possible & eliminate them (by using many of the same questions you listed above) when possible but, I know that errors can be a badge of handmade rather than plain ol' carelessness. I often don't mind them when purchasing handmade goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah perfection! I like your musings.

    ReplyDelete