Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bags of Stuff

I laughed at myself Saturday morning. 

I was preparing for my guild meeting with Saturday Spinners. The program was reporting on our UFOs (UnFinished Objects) and blending fiber on drum carders. 

I gathered my stuff and put everything in separate bags.
  • fiber to drum card
  • the bag holding treasurer responsibilities
  • extra bag of miscellaneous fiber to play with
  • my UFO & show & tell items
  • my knitting bag
  • camel fiber & hand cards for making punis
I stood in my entry way looking at 6 bags of stuff. None of them heavy, just bulky. The stuff was divided by category so I could find things easily during the meeting. 

I started to laugh when I envisioned loading up my arms with so many bags.

Work in the fiber arts is full of fiber and equipment. And when we have workshops and meetings we have to bring our STUFF. 

Our stuff turns out to be a myriad of tools, yarn and fiber. We also take stuff with us just in case we don’t feel like working on what we are supposed to.

So I had 6 bags lined up on the floor for a 2 hour meeting. I laughed some more. 

I knew that I was not going to be able to actually use items from all 6 bags. So I got rid of the bag of miscellaneous fiber and stuffed the small bag of knitting into another. I got down to four bags. Much more manageable.


Here is what I carded on a Pat Green drum carder - beige CVM (California Variegated Mutant) fiber base with dyed mohair locks in red/yellow/orange colorway from La Llama Farm. I ran it through the drum carder twice to get more color blended. 


I gave the finished batt to my mother. She said it would match up with some other fiber she had ready for spinning. I have lots of both fibers left to blend more if she needs it.

Drum carding was very fun. 

To top the morning off, it was pouring rain. Which meant, in addition to holding 4 bags of stuff, I also had to manage an umbrella...

8 comments:

  1. Haha I don't think I could even fit all my UFOs in my car! Well done! Love your new fiber blend, you took the super bright and mellowed it down to a nice and subtle blend. I have some fuschia mohair locks from Nanci that I haven't quite figured out what to do with. I've been spinning a bit lately and think of the Saturday Spinners every time I sit down at my wheel. Miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too. My husband calls me his bag lady. He thought the post was just for him! Nanci's locks are so fun to play with. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see you with all your "stuff" and your umbrella and can relate! Love your blog and love the colors in your fiber art batt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you both! Good work Michelle. I love the subtle colors. Your mom will love it too.
    Do you want to follow my blog? It's weaverkat.blogspot.com
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you too. Of course I will follow your blog!

      Delete
  5. Kaisara calls me his bag lady too! I usually forgo the umbrella & grag another bag!! :-)

    ReplyDelete