Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Twilling Around, Part 2

Here I am frantically twining the last row to cut off my rug. 

My friend Gail kindly lent me her Schacht Wolf Pup floor loom. She would have let me keep it until I could finish all the samples available but I knew that I would be under tremendous pressure to do more after the workshop was over. I decided to take the pressure off and be content with the 14 samples I had completed. I could always do another sampler when my life was not so packed with other obligations.

My favorite weaving technique was the window. On the right is Jason’s full size sample of a 3-D window block in the rug. On the left is my TINY sample of a single layer of window using parallel motion on opposites technique. Only 3 of us in the workshop tried this technique. I had a lot of fun with it.

My favorite pattern visually was the undulating twill. It looked so pretty to me.

And my finished rug. The list of samples below goes from right to left. At each end there is a row of braided twining with braided tassels on both sides and a row of plain twining with the warp thread.

Day 1 Samples - Straight Twill:
1. diagonals
2. diamonds
3. triangles
4. rhomboids
5. large triangles
6. lighting

Day 2 Samples - Broken Twill:
7. diamonds
8. zig zag with 3 colors
9. woven on opposites (treadles)
10. undulating 
11. contrary motion on opposites

Day 3 Samples - Crossed Wefts
12. parallel motion on opposites
13. clasped weft
14. changing direction in a block

Don’t tell my husband, but I’m working hard now to find a spare corner in my already packed-to-the-ceiling home to set the loom up...

2 comments: