Sunday, July 1, 2012

15 Hours



My son participated in a 5-day, 3-hour drop-off Mandarin Immersion summer camp last week. 

The drop-off part, the language acquisition, and sampling of kindergarten schedule is significant for both Ian and I as this is our first foray into any kind of formal school for him. He has been my constant companion for 5+ years. 

What is really significant and relative to this blog is that I had 15 hours of child & home free time just to work on projects.

15 HOURS!

I have to say that again...15 HOURS!

I, of course, had a plethora of UFOs (UnFinished Objects) and WIPs (Works In Progress) to choose from. I focused on one of the fiber exchanges that is due mid-July. I am proud to say that it got finished and is now drying on a blocking mat.

Ian has a second week of camp. I am going to finish the second fiber exchange project from (I’m slightly embarrassed to say) 2010. It was due May 2011. Mid July 2012 now seems like a good target date to finish.

It is a wonderful time watching Ian’s world expand. It is also a time to be a little sad that his babyhood is officially over with the start of real school. But I am also excited for myself. I will have time to focus on my craft work in a way I haven’t known before. Serious dedicated time. It’s going to be great for both of us.


5 comments:

  1. Oh...UFOs and WIPs...I was wondering what to call those things that have been lurking around and popping up every now and then to remind me that they haven't gone away! I'm now going to decide what I really want to do with them and if they don't fill me with joy when I look at them and stir up a desire for me to complete them..poof...gone...they will be off to another world! Oh...I will dream of 15 hours! 15 hours is a good thing! Marti :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the trick is to convert the UFOs into WIPs. Otherwise it is worth the ripping, frogging, detangling process to come up with some new project for that yarn or fiber. It's definitely not worth working on things we don't like.

      Delete
  2. I've just gone back and read all the past postings. Very interesting! Thank you for taking the time to share. I really liked the drum carding picture of the fiber you passes on to your mom. I've subscribed by e mail so I can keep up. Now to go frog some UFPs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passes on to?..
    How about passed - ah the trials of hunt & peck autocorrect typing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks for reading and following. It is actually keeping me in tune to write consciously about my work. I encourage you to dig out those UFOs! Although, I've finished many projects this year to date, it doesn't seem like my total pile of work has lessoned in anyway...

      Delete