Thursday, May 3, 2012

“Quarterly” Review


It’s time to do a sort-of quarterly review of my UFO status (UnFinished Objects).

Below is the list of projects I wrote about in January plus a few more. I thought categorizing them would make me feel more productive. It does and it doesn’t. 

I’ve actually completed more projects than I’ve started. Which is a goal of mine this year. So I guess I’m doing OK so far. I think.

Still a UFO or became a UFO:
  • spinning an indigo dyed merino/bamboo blend yarn
  • spinning golden beige silk on a drop spindle
  • knitting a Central Park Hoodie cardigan - needs blocking
  • frogging a quarter done scarf of alpaca blend yarn

Fiber Exchange UFOs that have become WIPs (Works In Progress):
  • spin cotton on a charkha and weave the finished yarn into cloth 
  • weave a triangle shawl - needs finishing and embellishment
  • felted some lovely green merino fiber - more to be felted

New WIPs:
  • knitting the Retro Tee in Classic Elite Lotus Blossom Cotton yarn
  • long wool spinning study for Saturday Spinners Guild

UFOs and new items that got Finished:

With this list in hand, I ask myself the following questions:
  • Do I have too many projects going at the same time? 
  • Are there too many different types of projects?
  • Is it possible to work on only one project at a time? 
  • Is that a silly question to ask of a creative person?
  • Am I a creative person or chaotic person?

Ummm, I guess these questions make me an ongoing WIP.


5 comments:

  1. Yes to all of the above with the exception of working on one project at a time. It refreshes the eyes and creative process to leave projects. Of course, this is how WIPs become UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see your yoga mat bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mat bag was one I made for my niece. You can see a picture in January's post titled "Ripples of Joy". I have yet to make one for myself ;-)

      Delete
  3. There is no such thing as too many projects! :) As a creative people, I think we want constant visual stimulation and can become easily bored with a project. Having multiple projects is a way to deal with that. I just finished a project that was a sea of Stockinette stitch and my brain was begging for lace halfway through, while if I work on a complicated project my brain wants something easy and mindless for a change. Maybe the creative mind is never satisfied?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. Our creative minds are just never at rest really. Satisfaction comes at different times for different projects!

      Delete