Saturday, February 11, 2012

Real Boys Wear Pink

Last Saturday, my son, Ian, asked me to make a robe for him. One just like mine - pink with small white polka dots. 

I said that we would go to the fabric store and see what we could find. Secretly, I hoped we could find a stripe or plaid or other terry cloth that was not pink. Why? Well, little boys don’t wear pink, right?

On Sunday, I take Ian to the store. The first aisle we come to he sees a cotton fabric with cars, trucks, planes and race cars printed on a blue background. He says he wants that one. Whew. Not Pink.

Then I say we need to find a lining for the thin cotton. The robe’s purpose is to keep him warm in the early morning when he’s cuddled on the couch watching a cartoon while I take a few minutes to wake up.

So we walk over to the terry cloth aisle and I pick out three bolts of fabric for him to choose from -  cream, light blue and light green. He ignores me, walks further down the aisle, points at the last bolt of terry cloth and says, “That one!” 

The Pink One. Of Course.

After a few minutes of negotiation, I succumb and buy the pink terry cloth for the the lining.

I wash the fabric that afternoon and cut on Monday. I find that I have not bought enough fabric and have to go back Tuesday night to buy more.

Wednesday is a marathon sewing day. Which really means stealing time from Ian. After a total of 4.5 hours stolen in small chunks throughout the day, I finish the robe at 11 PM. I am tickled pink by how cute the robe has turned out. I present the robe to Ian Thursday morning. His face lights up with the sweetest smile and says, “For me?” Yes! 

He has been wearing the robe every morning since...for at least 5 minutes while he warms up against the early morning chill. Ian's Dad thinks he looks like a mini-Heff. I think he looks like a fun version of Obiwan Kinobe. 

Either way, real boys wear pink.


2 comments:

  1. Of course they do! I would get Jefferson a pink shirt too if I wasn't so sick of pink already. :p When I read your post, it reminded me of this Next shirt
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4056/4544096412_9cce4c90fb_z.jpg

    ReplyDelete