Friday, January 6, 2012

Welcome to Textile Sanity

I intend to post a blog once a week this year.

I will write about my relationship with textiles. The how and what I spin, weave, knit, crochet, felt, sew, teach, etc. Textiles make me feel connected to humanity and history. Sometimes my work in textiles feels like a solo act as I recently moved away from my established textile community. But I know that there are others everywhere in the world that share my interest and love of yarn and fiber and what it can be made into. I will find those folks.

I also have a few UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that are on the to-do list this year. I know we all have UFOs laying around and the pile never seems to diminish. Projects just seem to rotate as some get done and new UFOs get added to the pile. I will endeavor this year to complete more projects than I start. Last year the pile seemed to grow even though I also completed a number of projects.

Current UFOs I am actually working on are - 
  • hand-quilting a child's quilt for a friend 
  • spinning an indigo dyed merino/bamboo blend yarn
  • knitting a Central Park Hoodie cardigan
On the UFO list is  - 
  • to sew a yoga mat bag
  • spinning golden beige silk on a drop spindle
  • weave a triangle shawl for a fiber exchange
  • spin cotton on a charkha and weave the finished yarn into cloth for another fiber exchange
  • felt some lovely green merino fiber for a third fiber exchange
I don't know why I keep participating in these fiber exchange projects except that they expand my circle of textile friends and the projects all challenge my skills in some way.

Time is always a factor in our lives and mine is certainly taken up by my 5 year old son. But textiles are a tactile necessity for me. Working with fiber keeps me sane. So I guess I am actually writing about my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment