Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spinning in Madrid

I am spinning 4 oz. of a 60/40 Merino/Bamboo blend that I purchased from Chameleon Colorworks. The fiber was white and tightly braided when I put it into the indigo dye pot at the Griffen Dyeworks Fiber Frolic in 2009. When the braided chain came out of the pot it turned a lovely blue.



As I unbraided the chain, random white spots appeared throughout the roving.



I then split the roving into 3 sections to spin 3 fine singles. The finished yarn will be 3 ply. The yarn has a lovely sheen from the bamboo and a bounce from the merino. Here is a picture of the 2nd bobbin.



Along with spinning this week, I’m in the middle of reading Captain Alatriste by Arturo Perez-Reverte (translated from Spanish), about a down on his luck swordsman in 17th century Madrid. Also, my son has been fixated on the 1981 cartoon Zorro. It’s been strange to “hear” a Spanish accent in my head as I read and then hear a questionable version of the same accent from the TV as I spin. Anyway, my head is filled with images of doublets, hose, capes and felted hats with plumes. Captain Alatriste often wears something called a buff vest, a densely quilted canvas or leather vest which can repel incidental sword thrusts. 

As I spin and quilt this week, which I have managed to do everyday this week even if only for a few minutes, I think about how long it would take me to spin enough yarn to knit a pair of hose for daily wear or quilt leather by hand in an effort to save a person’s life. Well, it would take me FOREVER. But pre-industrial revolution it would have been my job. Regardless of the time it takes caring for my family, I would have had to spin and sew MANY minutes of the day. My fingers would be tipped with calluses like rocks and spinning and quilting would not have been fun. Making textiles would have been food on the table and maybe a penny or two in my pocket.

Frankly, I’m super happy that I get to work with fiber and yarn because I’m interested in it and not because it has to pay my bills. I feel lucky to live in a time when materials are readily available and the selection extensive. I’m happy that my 5 minutes of spinning per day yields pleasure and beauty.

1 comment:

  1. I've asked fiberista/o's the question: Would you do this if you HAD to?

    I consider myself very lucky to do this becasue I want to.

    Take care-msb

    ReplyDelete